The site was a commercial greenhouse complex abandoned in the 1950’s.
The house was inspired by the former structures and their orientation to the land. The main 40’ x 200’ greenhouse was originally (and remained) the defining element. The new house occupies the northern edge of the former greenhouse footprint, using the long area to the south, which had to be cleared in removing the ruins, as a private outdoor area with southern exposure. Toward the end of this area, the foundation walls and the greenhouse end frame were left in tact as a reminder of the site’s history.
Like the greenhouse, the new house is a bar plan. The long low profile and no nonsense materials are reminiscent of the original structure. As one proceeds from the street into the site, the more closed north façade becomes a wall separating the public, suburban side of the house from the private, wetland side. This closure is reinforced by the extension of the west wall of the house as a pergola and by the “L” shaped plan, which shields the wetlands to the east.
Builder: Darlington Home Builders / Photographer: Warren Jagger